Monday, August 30, 2010

About being a hard rock musician in Peru

Well, as some of you probably already know, there is a country in a far far away godforsaken wasteland called Peru. A place where girls actually dislike guys with long hair. A magical place where the word rock is used to describe poorly manufactured pop bands with meaningless lyrics and pretty but untalented band members. A bizarre dimension where names like Ronnie James Dio, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page or Randy Rhoads are simply an enormous, gigantic and palpitating question mark. I'm talking about a country where most people actually believe that hearing a skinny mobster shouting all kinds of degrading sexist insults to women is music.
A wild jungle where people who dare to like rock and roll, jazz, heavy metal, blues or classical music are reduced to, basically, morlocks.


The thing is, my friends, I happen to live there. Why? Because if there is a god, he just hates me. He hates me with the strengh of a thousand suns.

So here I am. Now what?

Well, the very first thing I should keep in mind is this:

You'll never, EVER, make big money with your hard rock music in Peru you fat ass drunken retarded bastard!

Ok, then. So if no one gives a dime for my music, should I just quit? If the reason I play would be money, then my answer should obviously be "yes".

But that's not my case.

Don't get me wrong. I need money, just like everyone else does. I need to sell my records and I need to get paid for playing because otherwise I won't be able to afford a new record, new strings, a new cable, etc.

I guess the idea is not trying to pay your bills, your food, your house, your car, your horse or whatever with the money you make with your music and you'll probably be fine. Maybe the fact that there is almost no pressure for a hard rock peruvian musician to be commertial and keep his non-existent massive audience happy, could contribute to cause that a lot of them just do it for the music and the pleasure of being artists.

My point is, I hope you understand how hard it is for us to do this and I want you to know that everything we do, we do it from the heart. Thank you for your support and keep rocking. It's all about having fun, feeling satisfied with your work and learning a few things about ourselves.


But I still can't deny that Peru is certainly a land of opportunities.

...

Could the ice cream man murder the president in YOUR country? I don't think so...

No comments:

Post a Comment